State Legislatures and their work are easy to ignore. There's no "Beacon Hill" segment on the nightly Maddow show, and even local media coverage is inconsistent and limited. But John Oliver, hilariously, explains exactly why you should care -- and why we work to keep you abreast of what you need to know to pressure our MA State House to enact progressive priorities.
Legislatures -- wielding a terrifying amount of influence, safe in the knowledge that no one will be paying attention!
Do you know who YOUR State Representative and State Senator are? Find out: progma.us/whosmylegislator-ma --then add your legislators to your contacts! They need to hear from you, regularly! (Calls and Emails are best -- but social media contact can help too).
We have Social Media and official contact info for State Legislators, on our Resource page: progressivemass.com/maleg
- On our blog: Changing Narrative: Changing the Statehouse (9/2016)
- Outmatched: Conservatives’ support for state-based think tanks is paying off in regressive legislation. Liberals are scrambling to keep up. - The Prospect - 3/7/2013 - http://go.shr.lc/2c6jzpw
- Forget D.C.--The Battle is in the States - In These Times - 2/20/2006 - http://go.shr.lc/1MzsFHF - [PDF Version]
- Let John Oliver Explain the Insane Amount of Power Your Bizarre State Legislature Holds | Mother Jones - 11/3/2014 - http://go.shr.lc/1B16Oj1
- The ALEC Problem Is Even Worse Than John Oliver Thinks | Blog | Media Matters for America - 11/3/2014 - http://go.shr.lc/1B16yk8
- Interactive Map: Is Your State Legislator a Member of ALEC? | BillMoyers.com - 9/8/2012 – http://bit.ly/QjJOnE
- Republicans Brag They Won House Majority Because Of Gerrymandering | ThinkProgress (1/17/2013) - http://s.shr.lc/YcyD7A
- Midterms Give Parties Chance for Sweeping Control of States – NYTimes.com – 8/11/2014 - http://bit.ly/1ri4D4l
- Don’t Care About Your State Legislature? Let John Oliver Amusingly Explain Why You Should. - Slate - 11/3/2014 http://go.shr.lc/10Iz4ZU